Sunday, June 17, 2012

Seventh Inning Stretch

The next installment of EireLandings will be coming soon so keep checking back!

       SO, in the course of all American baseball games is a moment known as the Seventh Inning Stretch.  It's my favorite part of the game when everyone in the stadium literally stands up to stretch and to follow the bouncing ball on the big screen to sing the anthem of baseball:


Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd;
Buy me some peanuts and

Cracker Jack,
I don't care if I ever get back.
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win, it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game.


       Naturally there are other verses that no one knows because the only really important part is the chorus.  Even people who don't like baseball know this chorus and in a group, sing it with gusto (see EireLandings ~ Part Four).  Personally, I'm not a big fan of sports in general.  I'll tune in if it's a championship of some sort, Super Bowl, World Series, College Basketball's Final Game of the Final Four - more like a check-in during the late part of the game IF it's a team I have some vague interest in and, IF it's a close score I might even watch to the end (Welsh Rugby Union actually winning against England). 

       But none of this has anything to do with what I'm writing today.  The phrase occurred to me, the song came roaring through my head and so I'm beginning with it as way to get it out of my head - and, to say it's another short interruption of the Ireland travelogue.


       In the course of each trip I take, there comes a point halfway or so, that I think I'm enjoying the place, the people, the hotel, the ship, the tour, or whatever, and I could just keep on doing it forever - I don't care if I ever get back.  Usually by the next day I'm beginning to think that it will be just fine when it's time to go home.  



       And it was so with the Ireland trip and it is so with writing about the Ireland trip. There are moments when I think I could write about it forever and then there are the moments when I look forward to the next piece which brings me - and you! - closer to the end of that segment and looking ahead to what crosses my brain next. Also, I needed the stretch time. 

      After a great weekend with Favorite Oldest Granddaughter, age 7, for her dance recital and just hanging out, I came home on Monday and one of those bolts from the blue hit.  Favorite Oldest Aunt, age 92, fell and broke her hip Monday afternoon.  The rest of the week has been a blur of hospital waiting, surgery delays, surgery waiting, errands running, phone calls making, etc., etc., etc.  And much more to come.  The GREAT NEWS is that amazing woman that she is, she's doing very well.  A retired nurse anesthetist, she knows the drill.  She's alert, calm, in overall good mind and health, and is trooping through the hoops.   I am tired but relieved for the moment.

        So, life brings frequent reminders of how fragile and fleeting it is.  In a heartbeat, a nanosecond, a blink of the eye, the game changes.  It's time to make time to have a giggle with friends, make that phone call and email I've put off, write the note that's overdue.  It's time again to connect with those from whom I've been too long away, time also to make amends with some, and to reconnect with myself.  The travel is great, it feeds my energy and my imagination.  Home, wherever those I love are, is what feeds my soul.  Have you made your calls?  Pay attention, it all goes by so fast. 

The days can be long, but the years are short. Feed your soul...




No comments: