Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Storm Before the Calm

       All the feverish activity of preparation is nearly over.  The rain has started, the winds will steadily increase as the day progresses and remain at hurricane force for several days if the storm stalls as predicted.  Hurricane Sandy along the east coast with a nor'easter nested inside combined with a winter storm on our western edge portends disaster heading directly our way.  A storm of unprecedented, historical, and "monster" proportions, nicknamed "Frankenstorm" by the media is moving in.  With a projected range of nearly 1000 miles in breadth, the forecasters have already decided that the damages will be in the billions and power outages could last "weeks". 

       SO, the table, chairs, and flower pots in the yard have been secured.  The car is filled with gas (in case I have to leave and IF the garage door battery backup works!), extra water, lantern and radio batteries, and non-perishable food have been obtained.  The bottom row of books on several bookcases and a variety of other things such as the doll cradle and other toys always awaiting the visits of my granddaughters have been placed up off the floor in the fnished basement.  My important papers are stored securely and the really important papers and other stuff are in the computer bag I'll grab if I have to leave. 

       Today I am just doing more normal things around the house.  Exchanging summer clothes for winter, setting aside things to give to the eventual charity pick-up, and continuing the never-ending attempt to organize my various needlework projects will occupy some of my time over the next few days.  I have books to read, those (many) projects to work on, and even some writing to do - none of which will require electricity.  I also have a gas stove and a blessed French press so I won't even have to go without my coffee!  I am well aware that I am luckier than many who will be in the path of this storm along with me. 

       I'm not a fan of or believer in an "interventionist" God who sits by a chess board moving human pieces around and decides who gets slammed and who doesn't, but no doubt as the winds howl and the roof rattles, habits of a lifetime will find me in intercessory prayer.  At least I'll have someone to talk to in the midst of it all.  And therein lies the Calm....  Peace, safety, and Calm to all of you who will share this time with me, one way or another.  Stay tuned.  I expect to be back soon.  I may even tweet, if I'm certain of enough battery power for the phone.  That would be, of course, @leeosophy.

39 He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.  



     



No comments: