Saturday, January 19, 2013

Of Mice and Me

The best laid schemes of mice and men
Go often awry
...
   
 (from Robert Burns' To a Mouse)

     Neither Robert Burns nor John Steinbeck be I, but I do converse with mice; well, ok, I just yell at them in language that is perhaps, not so poetic or prose-like.
 
       Following on from my previous post "Falderal and Fa La La", I am happy to report that the meeces have departed my humble abode.  However, they left far many more gifts than I had first realized.  I have spent many recent days relocating the contents of two rooms from upstairs (not finished with that yet) to downstairs in preparation for some internal demolition in the coming weeks (Favorite Oldest Daughter is coming to tear down the wall that separates the two rooms, yikes).  I have also tried to make space upstairs and down for estimators to come in to measure for some new windows and electrical work. 

      The downstairs work was more painstaking in some ways because of keeping areas clear to walk around in and of having to vacuum and scrub down areas where the little beasties left evidence of their habitation.  Thankfully, I had gotten it all done - except for some more relocating of stuff - and today was the day I was going to put extra blankets and pillows into those plastic bags that the air is vacuumed from for more compact storage, rearrange some things in my sewing area and get started on birthday gifts for my soon-to-be 8 year old triplet nephews.  Surprise, surprise surprise...
 
       I put several blankets in one large plastic vacuum cube and then remembered some quilts and blankets I have in a high-boy dresser downstairs.  I decided to put them all together and free up the drawer space.  I can pile the storage bags and cubes on the closet floor downstairs.  When I pulled a quilt out of one of the upper drawers, I was shocked to see leftover lentil bits and other unmistakeable leavings.  Guess who had come to dinner?  Of course you realize that I had to go through all drawers, remove all contents (carefully cleaned and folded summer clothes, et al), take the drawers upstairs and outside to shake out, wipe out, disinfect, and load up the laundry room floor.  Then I went through the closet and after thinking many angry thoughts in blue, I started to empty hanging shelving (inexpensive cloth and flimsy bowed cardboard) most of which I have just thrown in the trash.  It's time to rethink storage!   

      I did have a moment to laugh.  The exterminator distributed lots of material in the attic and in sealed containers on the main floor and in the basement.  It consisted of green bricks of bait designed to drive them out of the house by a fierce thirst.  I found a very seriously gnawed green crayon in one of the drawers.  Fascinating - can mice see in color?  SO, a breath, and then forward momentum.    

      OH WELL!  There is good news.  In the midst of relocating the contents of two rooms I have also been culling and clearing.  Certainly this was not the day I had planned to do more of that but it has been a liberation of sorts.  Much more is going out for trash or recycle than I had planned (say thank you to mother, children o' mine), much more will follow.  No sewing today but far less stuff in the house.  Ah, there's the dryer buzzer...next load.  Stay tuned, one charming friend suggests my meeces will return some day.  OH YEAH?  Well, I have the exterminator on speed dial....

      Anyone want a high-boy dresser? 
 
 

No comments: