Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Knitting the garment of my life,
one stitch at a time.

       A friend wrote today, in response to my post of yesterday, to suggest that perhaps the vanity I mentioned might actually be willing vulnerability.  He likened publicly posting my thoughts to the metaphor of being naked in the village square, knitting a garment one stitch at a time.   Hmmm, thought I...how fortunate for all of us that I have not yet provided photos!

       Life is only lived one day at a time, or more accurately one moment at a time.  Making the stitches in knitting is sometimes tedious and repetitive even with a project I look forward to completing. Sometimes the stitches are miscounted, the yarn is tangled, and then there are the mistakes that require ripping out and starting over.  Often in those moments the color is more in my choice of vocabulary than in the yarn. 

       In life sometimes the days are distressfully long but it quickly becomes crystal clear that the years blast by at warp speed.  Each moment is as precious in its times of chaos and disorder as in its times of bliss and beauty.  The garment that is one's life is made in each moment, in each day, and whether or not it is ever "completed" is just conjecture. The choice is always ours to move the project ahead or to give it up.   

       In my life, so far, I have miscounted, ripped out, tangled up, and started again, more times than it is possible to count.   I'm blessed with friends and family who keep encouraging me to keep knitting on - my life is my ultimate work in progress.



1 comment:

Marjo said...

What a great way for me to look at everything today. There is a certain fear in pulling out part of your life and starting back up. Thanks for the thoughts you've triggered.